Over the years, I often come in contact with individuals who right off the bat tell me they just don’t have time to go to the gym or can’t find any time during the day for a workout. I often smile and listen to their various excuses as why they can’t. For some reason, they feel a need to confess and confide in me.
For the most part, it’s hogwash. There are NO excuses as it’s all about priorities, remaining discipline and focused, and being true to you.
But let’s just say one is really too busy to find the time to work out, especially during the workweek with juggling work, family, and home. Well then I say, get creative! Find ways to whittle it in with easy moves that will yield results.
Below are 20 simple exercises, including isometrics and cardio, you can discreetly sneak in during the day to boost your energy levels, relieve stress, and burn extra calories.
1. Wake up 15 minutes earlier to walk and down the steps in your home for 15 minutes. Increase the time if you can.
2. Park your car the furthest spot away from your office building, grocery story, shopping mall, etc. and briskly walk to your destination.
3. Always skip the elevator and take the stairs instead, both ways, up and down.
4. Replace your desk chair with a height appropriate, stability ball. It’s great for your core!
5. Neck rotations at your desk by dropping your chin and rolling your neck then raise your chin up and bend your neck to each side.
6. Shoulder raises; raise them up to your ears, hold, and then relax.
7. Wrist stretches while sitting. Extend one arm out with your palm up. With your other hand, grab your fingers and lightly pull them down to give your forearm with a good stretch.
8. Clench your fists and flex your forearms and count to 10.
9. Hand stretches; squeeze a pen and focus on your forearm muscles.
10. Push your palms together, positioned in opposite directions, and hold for 20 seconds.
11. Ab crunches; sit up in your chair with feet flat on floor and arms to your sides. Tighten your abs and keep tightening them for 5 seconds. Release and then repeat again.
12. Glut squeezes while sitting or standing. Lift your butt about a full inch off your seat squeeze your butt cheeks together. Hold for a full 30-60 seconds and then relax. Repeat.
13. Thigh squeezes while sitting in your chair. Place your fist between your knees and squeeze your knees together. Hold for a count of 10.
14. Just for the ladies … kegels … whenever you are sitting.
15, Leg extensions while sitting in your chair. Lift one leg off the floor and extend it straight out. Hold for two seconds. Lower the foot, but stop a few inches before you reach the floor. Hold for five seconds, and then switch to the opposite side. Repeat 15 times on each side.
16. Toe raises with your heels firmly on the ground when sitting at your desk for a full 30-60 seconds. Repeat.
17. Spend at least half of your lunch break taking a brisk walk outside.
18. Walk to the restroom that is the furthest away in the building.
19. Walk to a co-worker’s area to deliver a message instead of sending an email.
20. Keep your leg muscles stretched. Every time your finish a task or once every hour, stand up and walk for 5 minutes.
Be Fit. Be Strong. Be Well.